The Massachusetts Alliance of Portuguese Speakers(MAPS) is promoting its annual 2011 Awards Gala fundraising event to take place on April 30, at 6 pm, at the Cambridge Marriott Hotel in Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA..
The black tie event, hosted by WBZ’s Anthony Silva and MAPS Board member Elizabeth Chaves, will include a Red Carpet Arrival, Banquet, Awards Ceremony.
This year’s slate of Gala award recipients includes:
• Felipe Matos, Brazilian student in Miami, FL and leader of the Trail of Dreams/MAPS Person of the Year Award;
• Crisolita Pontes-Alves of South Easton, volunteer in the Cape Verdean community of the Boston area/MAPS Manuel N. Coutinho Outstanding Volunteer Award;
• Dorothea Clinton of Cambridge, longtime community volunteer in the Portuguese-speaking community of the Somerville-Cambridge area/MAPS Mary & Manuel Rogers Lifetime Community Service Award;
• Sister Elisete Signor of the Scalabrini Community Center, St. Anthony’s Parish Church, in Everett/MAPS Jorge Fidalgo Community Service Award; and
• Álvaro Lima, Brazilian business and community leader, who will receive the new MAPS Álvaro Lima Outstanding Business Award.
MAPS has announced that to date the agency has raised more money this year than ever before in sponsorships. Advertisements for the Gala program book are still being accepted for a limited time through MAPS website or by emailing
Entertainment, Raffle, Silent Auction, dancing and much more are expected. Seating is limited and can be purchased at $75 per person at, or by calling (617) 864-7600. Guests must RSVP by April 22.
A MAP is a private, non-profit organization serving the Portuguese-speaking communities of Massachusetts for more than 40 years. For more information about the agency, the 2011 Awards Gala, how to become a sponsor, donate items to the Silent Auction, or place an ad in the Gala Program Book, please visit www.maps-inc.org or call (617) 864-7600.